What you will be part of
Saab Grintek Defence, which is a business unit operating within South Africa. The business unit is focused on design, development, integration, testing, documenting and deployment of products for aerospace and defence industries. This position is in the Product Design Department.
SGD is a leader in its field, specialising in Electronic Warfare Systems and integration of high-tech products.
SGD is seeking an all-round Compliance Environmental Test Engineer/Test Technician (climate, mechanical and EMC/EMI) to provide technical assistance, manage and perform hands-on environmental testing to various military, commercial and customer specific requirements. In addition to testing, the selected candidate will be expected to document and report on test outcomes.
The selected candidate will be expected to interface with customers (Internal and External), and ensure their needs are met with respect to scheduling, testing and deliverance of the environmental test reports.
The candidate may be requested to travel both locally and internationally (Europe, Asia and the America’s) in order to execute tests. It is therefore critical that the candidate have a passport and is able to obtain various Visa’s.
Environmental and EMC Testing (Natural climatic, induced mechanical and induced climatic, chemical, biological environments and EMC/EMI)
(A series of environmental test methods for use during the design, development and acceptance of the defence materiel).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Independently perform test set-ups, operate and adjust test equipment to comply with testing requirements, or provide support during test execution by other team members
- Participate in the preparation of test in collaboration with technicians and/or engineers
- Plan environmental testing events, coordinate with commercial testing laboratories to schedule, execute and report test events
- Configure relevant hardware/software (test platform)
- Understand and following detailed instructions, test standards and specifications
- Monitor test events during execution to ensure that proper test parameters are maintained
- Perform preliminary pre-compliance testing
- Maintain test log sheets and record data during test events
- Set up data acquisition systems and data gathering during test events (photographs, document configurations with accurate and complete diagrams)
- Document test data thoroughly and accurately (including dates, pass/fail criteria and results, history of events, test equipment use and calibrations and other pertinent data)
- Maintain working knowledge of regulatory agency standards pertaining to assigned compliance tests
- Differentiate between related standards and be able to answer customer’s questions accurately
- Perform/Arrange transportation for the items under test to and from the test facilities
- Work with environmental test facility to receive raw test report data and compile that material into test reports formatted to in-house/customer specifications
- Review data of various test to ensure accuracy and timeless to dissemination of information
- Participate as a team member to accomplish departmental and corporate objectives
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Your experiences and skills
- At least 5 years’ experience in a multi-disciplinary engineering environment where practical experience in execution of environmental qualification testing is required
- Candidate should have created/run test procedures in at least 7 of the following test scenarios: Temperature, Altitude, Temperature Variation, Humidity, Operational Shock & Crash safety, Vibration, Humidity, Operational Shock & Crash safety, Vibration, Explosion proof, Water proof, Fluids susceptibility, Sand & Dust, Fungus Resistance, Salt & Fog, Icing, ESD & Fire/Flammability
- Able to meet deadlines and multitask
- Able to lift 20kg without stress
- Must be a team player and work well with group activities
- Knowledge of Aerospace, Land and Naval military test environment with related working experience
- Knowledge of various industry test standards: Familiarity with the following standards (MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461, RTCA/DO-357, AECTP 100-500 (NATO), Def-Stan 00-35 Part 1-6, Def-Stan 59-411 Part 1-5, BS-3G-100, BS/EN/IEC 60068-1&2-xx, JSS-55555 GOST etc)
- Electronic Warfare knowledge experience will be an advantage
- Experience with DOORS requirements management tool is desired [All test reports are written in DOORS template module]
- Be proficient in MS Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
- Relevant technical qualification
- Electronic Warfare and Avionics knowledge will be an advantage
Saab Grintek Defence in South Africa will give preference to South African citizens and those that advance its employment equity goals and objectives.