What you will be part of
Saab Grintek Defence, which is a business unit operating within South Africa. The business unit is focused on design, development, integration, testing, documenting and deployment of products for aerospace and defence industries. This position is in the Design and Development Engineering Department.
The Materials Compliance Engineer will be responsible for assuring that Saab Grintek Defence’s products (including electronic components and mechanical housing/coatings) are compliant with government and regulatory standards related to materials and substances. Standards include RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances), REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals). Work with Engineers in Design and Development, strategic sourcing, Technical Design Authorities (TDA’s) and Technical Product Manager (TPM’s) to collect relevant information, analyse certify that materials and products are compliant to regulatory requirements. Leads a proactive approach to preventing compliance issues by collaborating with engineers, TDA’s, TPM’s and the Design Office Teams; reviewing design data; identifying and resolving non-compliance design issues at an early stage; researching and identifying applicable regulatory and industry compliance standards and codes; educating design teams; developing compliance guidance and policies.
- Will be the primary process owner for ensuring material compliance to a variety of requirements including, but not limited to RoHS and REACH
- Conduct materials analysis, material classification, and reporting to relevant requirements
- Stay current with applicable standards, skills and trends in regulatory compliance and take a proactive positon to prevent compliance issues by collaborating with design teams; reviewing parts and materials selection; identifying and resolving non-compliance issues; researching and identifying applicable compliance standards; developing compliance policies and provide guidance on how to comply with specific regulations
- Establish strong working relationships with design engineers, supply chain (including Strategic Purchasing), TDA’s, TPM’s and other business stakeholders
- Updates job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging compliance engineering practices, standards; reading professional publications to stay current with applicable standards, skills and trends
- Attains compliance by isolating and resolving non-compliance issues, recommending product and process changes; initiating engineering change orders
- Creates trusted relationships with leaders across the business to maintain support for materials compliance
Your experiences and skills
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in global environmental regulations to include EU RoHS Directive, EU REACH Regulation, WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive), and others
- Ability to read technical drawings and schematics, strong working knowledge of compliance for electronic components and custom mechanical parts and their specific surface treatments
- Understanding of Bill of Material (BOM) structure, product development lifecycles, design change, and document change control
- Ability to read and correctly interpret trade journals, government regulations and legal documents and the ability to apply and communicate these requirements to a broad set of stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience with over 5 years of industry experience
SAAB Grintek Defence in South Africa will give preference to South African citizens and those that advance its employment equity goals and objectives.
Last updated: 14 March 2017 • 14:04