What you will be part of
Saab Sensor Systems is a rapidly growing business unit located in Syracuse, NY operating within Saab Defense and Security USA LLC. The Sensor Systems Division is focused on design, development, integration, test, deployment and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems primarily for aerospace and defense industry partners, and US Government agencies. Saab Defense and Security USA LLC provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, Sensor Systems Division is seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer with a focus on analysis experience to actively participate in and guide others on a technical team in capturing, understanding and implementing product design requirements. The analysis tasks will span the spectrum from classical hand analyses to detailed analyses requiring the use of finite element analysis (FEA) software (e.g. ANSYS).
The successful candidate will be responsible for presenting their work in peer and program reviews, as well as reviewing and providing feedback on other engineers’ work. You will have the opportunity to work with the customer(s) and internal SDAS engineering leadership to define and shape testing required to validate Structural and Thermal analyses and to verify that hardware is compliant with requirements.
- Performing Finite Element Analysis (Structural and Thermal)
- Understanding the fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering and application of those fundamentals to solve problems
- Applying existing knowledge to identify, manage, and resolve design issues, supplier quality issues, manufacturing and field issues
- Creating and modifying assembly drawings, schematics, vendor item control drawings, connection diagrams and bills of materials for complex electro-mechanical equipment
- Following company standard operating procedures and Quality System requirements to perform all aspects of the position
- Planning, organizing and estimating required effort for responsible tasks
- Contributing in a team environment to obtain common goals, providing technical leadership where applicable
- Working independently to achieve technical and program requirements
Your experiences and skills
Required Education and Experience
- BA/BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or similar) with 8+ years’ experience. (6+ years if MA/MS or 4+ years if PhD)
- Experience in thermal and vibration analysis and environmental test including vibration and shock
- Experience with a broad range of applied, advanced design with a fundamental understanding the product development life cycle
- Fundamental understanding of industry accepted design methods and practices, including design choices/tradeoffs, test data and requirement/specification changes
- Must have experience using ANSYS Mechanical Workbench and IcePak
- Experience performing analysis against MIL-STD’s
- Hand calculations based on fundamental equations
- Cooling of active electronic assemblies
- Thermal modeling using IcePak
- Ability to participate in program execution throughout its entire lifecycle (from conceptual design, structural and thermal task definitization, understanding and highlighting the critical path(s), organizing and leading a team through PDR, CDR and qualification testing)
- Experience using SolidWorks and AutoCad (DWG editor), MS Excel and MS Word to create drawings and documents
- Possess general knowledge of industrial electronic systems including enclosures, cabinets, chassis, electrical connectors, cabling, and mounting hardware
- Ability to read and review mechanical drawings for proper dimensioning tolerances and accuracy and completeness
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background investigation and/or successfully demonstrate eligibility to receive applicable Government security clearance(s).
As a contractor for the United States Department of Defense, Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 14,700 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, or disability status.
Last updated: 01 November 2017 • 15:40