What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Saab is seeking a self-motivated, experienced, enthusiastic Systems or Project Engineer interested in designing, deploying, integrating, tuning, and commissioning air traffic surveillance systems as part of our Communications, Navigation, and Surveillance (CNS) team. This position offers opportunities to travel internationally, exercise a diverse range of practical engineering and professional skills, and interact with customers around the world.
Responsibilities and learning opportunities include:
- Understand customer requirements, and develop system designs and architectures to satisfy those requirements.
- Perform design analysis and trade studies.
- Work within or lead small, interdisciplinary teams to develop detailed designs and technical and programmatic artifacts.
- Develop technical documentation and presentation materials for design reviews.
- Participate in or lead programmatic and technical discussions with customers.
- Develop test methodologies, plans, and procedures for customer requirements.
- Integrate, configure, and test surveillance systems in the factory and in the deployed environment.
- Work collaboratively with customers, prime contractors, and subcontractors to integrate systems and subsystems.
- Analyze and reduce large datasets to quantify system performance, investigate anomalies, and develop solutions.
- Support proposal activities by analyzing requirements, assessing compliance/NRE, providing cost and schedule input, and providing/editing technical written material.
- Utilize and improve existing Saab processes, policies, and products.
At Saab, you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on the deployment of state-of-the-art products that save human lives, provide improved travel experiences, and improve the environment. You will work closely with world-class engineers and professionals in an environment that fosters professional development, collaboration, and support at all levels. This position provides challenging and rewarding work, with many opportunities for growth.
Your skills and experience
- The ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated personal time management, planning, and organizing skills.
- Technical project planning skills (including providing cost and schedule estimates).
- Drive to take ownership of and responsibility for major tasks and programs.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to identify, understand, and manage risks proactively.
- The knowledge of or technical background to learn the theory of operation, design, and optimization processes for cooperative and non-cooperative surveillance products.
- The ability to understand customer requirements and develop system-level architectures and integration & test strategies to ensure these requirements are satisfied.
- The ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal), present to, and collaborate with both technical and non-technical colleagues and customers.
- The ability to generate high-quality technical documentation, including architecture documents, test plans and procedures, reports, and white papers.
- An interest in international travel and the ability to work with technical counterparts from different countries and cultures around the world.
- Computer programming in a high-level language such as Matlab, C/C++, Java, etc.
- Knowledge of air traffic surveillance systems
- Familiarity with Linux
- Familiarity with IP networks
- A bachelor's degree in engineering or a related discipline from an accredited institution; or
- Relevant military education & training
- Technical/project experience consistent with that of a senior engineer or technical professional (8+ years’ experience)
- Opportunity for international travel (up to 30%)
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
As a Federal Contractor for the United States, Saab Sensis is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be permanent residents or U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.