What you will be part of
Saab Barracuda LLC is a business unit operating within Saab Defense and Security USA LLC in Lillington, North Carolina. Saab Barracuda is the world's leading supplier of products and services within multi spectral signature management and force protection technology. Saab Barracuda is at the front line of research and development within the area and the company has built a solid competence, when it comes to optimizing signature management solutions. Saab Defense and Security USA LLC provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Barracuda LLC is seeking a dynamic, results-oriented individual to fill a Senior Textile Coatings Chemist/ Research Engineer role. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the company objectives regarding development of new products and the continuous improvement of current designs.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Optimizing textile coating formulations for superior coating quality and applying formulation and coating knowledge to implement new technologies to advance signature management performance.
- Perform laboratory bench work and appropriate instrument analysis to drive programs from ideas to proof of concept production-scale trials to full commercial production.
- Apply knowledge of textile substrates and finishing chemistries/techniques, to improve existing products and assist in the development of new products.
- Able to design studies and experiment independently, then perform the experiment or trial.
- Work with Business Development in support of their efforts in supplying products, developing prototypes for new business opportunities, and educating customers on the technical features of our signature management and heat mitigation technologies.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Secondary Responsibilities Include:
- Committed to deliver first-quality products on-time, every-time.
- Develop action plans to ensure timely completion of R&D projects.
- Must be able to perform accurate record keeping to ensure compliance to ISO 9001.
Your experiences and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related discipline.
- 8+ years relative experience.
- Knowledge of woven, knitted and nonwoven textile substrates.
- Knowledge and experience with textile coatings and chemistry, including but not limited to thickeners, binders, resins, flame retardants, UV absorbers, cross-linkers, etc.
- Experience with textile coating processes.
- Ability to plan experimental study, and enact said study.
- Knowledge and experience with textile colorants, spectrophotometers, and the CIELAB color space. Textile color-matching experience a must.
- Ability to translate lab bench work into small and full-scale trials.
- Some knowledge of textile cut and sew operations desired.
- Understand engineered drawings.
- Knowledge of document control procedures.
- Understanding of basic principles of signature management.
- Ability to prioritize jobs – set schedules.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have valid Driver's License.
- Computer skills such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Physical requirements of occasional lifting up to 50 pounds as needed and must be self mobile and able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Background in textile wet processing (woven and/or knit) desired.
- Must be able to speak and write English effectively.
Last updated: 08 September 2017 • 18:04