What you will be part of
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC (SDAS) provides solutions and technology that are at the core of defense and homeland security. SDAS provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package. SDAS is headquartered in Syracuse, NY and is comprised of four business units:
- Saab Sensor Systems (S3) is a rapidly growing business unit located in Syracuse, NY operating within S3 is the U.S. division supporting the global Saab Surface Based Sensors business unit. S3 is focused on design, development, integration, test, deployment and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems primarily for aerospace and defense industry partners, and U.S. Government agencies.
- Training and Simulation in Orlando, FL is the U.S. division operating in support of the global Saab Training and Simulation Business unit based in Husqvarna, Sweden. Training and Simulation provides world class land based Live, laser based Training and Simulation and Targetry products to the U.S. ARMY, Industry Primes, and Special Operations customers.
- Saab Barracuda USA LLC in Lillington, NC is the U.S. office operating in support of the global Saab Barracuda Signature Management Business unit based in Gamelby, Sweden. Barracuda is the world’s leading provider of world class textile based signature management products and capabilities for camouflage, solar shade, and energy management applications.
- Support and Services in Ashburn, VA is primarily the U.S. business unit supporting the global business unit responsible for support and maintenance of Saab’s commercial (340 and 2000) airplane fleet. Support and Services provides full lifecycle support and maintenance to the North and South American Saab 340 and 2000 customers. In addition Support and Services provides depot and logistics support for the rest of SDAS operations.
Because SDAS’s ultimate parent company, Saab AB, is not a U.S. entity, SDAS operates under a Special Security Agreement (“SSA”) with the U.S. Department of Defense. The SSA enables SDAS to participate in many classified programs and contracts by providing the company with a US Government approved legal and administrative framework within which Foreign Ownership Control and Influence (FOCI) risks are effectively mitigated.
In this newly created role as General Counsel, the successful candidate will handle all legal issues affecting Saab Defense and Security USA LLC (SDAS). The primary focus will be on compliance and negotiation of the Company’s U.S. Government contracts, including close support of a staff of Contract and Subcontract professionals. This position will support all four divisions of SDAS, and to the extent permitted by the SSA, provide advice and guidance to the rest of the Saab group. The General Counsel will consult with and retain outside counsel as needed for litigation, and other specialized matters. This role will also be responsible for the Export Control function.
As a solo practitioner, the ideal candidate must be a generalist, willing and able to perform all manner of routine and unglamorous tasks. The General Counsel will engage with and establish relationships with personnel in all areas of the Company and, to the extent permitted by the SSA, its affiliates. To the extent permitted by the SSA, this individual will interact with Saab AB’s General Counsel and Legal Department, business colleagues in Sweden, and elsewhere in the Saab Group. As a Vice President and member of the Company’s management group, the General Counsel will report directly to the Company’s President and CEO, and provide the legal viewpoint to our decision-making process. Due to a lean management group, this position will take on miscellaneous assignments as required, propose initiatives to reduce legal and business risks, and maximize the Company’s success. This role will also serve as the Company’s Secretary and on the SDAS Ethics and Corporate Responsibility Council.
Some specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide legal oversight, solutions-oriented guidance and recommendations to stakeholders and Senior Management on all legal matters affecting the Company with particular focus on dealing with and negotiating terms and conditions of U.S. Government contracts.
- Ensure the legal rights of the Company are protected, its legal obligations and potential exposures and risks are well defined and understood by management, and that the Company complies with applicable laws and regulations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and support for business units and, as allowed by the SSA, SDAS affiliates including attending management meetings and providing appropriate guidance and advice as necessary.
- Review all Company contracts and assist in the negotiations as appropriate.
- Craft solutions to legal and regulatory issues in compliance with Federal and State regulations.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the Company’s full legal rights.
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization.
- Develop, maintain, and enforce the legal role in the SDAS business process infrastructure including business, proposal, and contract reviews, business agreements, contract and subcontract terms and conditions, etc.
Your skills and experience
Required Experience and Skills:
- Admitted to practice in the State of New York, with expertise in New York’s contract/commercial laws.
- 15+ years of relevant experience and expertise in U.S. Government defense contracting law and procedures, including mastery of the FAR and DFARs.
- Experience in negotiating contracts and subcontracts terms and conditions with large U.S. A&D companies.
- Ability to obtain a U.S. Department of Defense security clearance.
- Proven success in negotiating contracts with the U.S. Government, prime contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers.
- Functional Leadership at the Corporate level of a global subsidiary including personnel management.
- Ability to assess and handle all incoming legal issues, from nuts-and-bolts matters to Board-level crises.
- Practical business sense and ability to apply legal principles in creative and diplomatic ways.
- Introduce the new legal function to the organization with both leadership and humility.
- National security requirements, including FOCI mitigation, NISPOM, and personal and facility clearances
- International trade matters, including ITAR and EAR
- Intellectual property experience and expertise
- International business experience
- Corporate secretary responsibilities
- Broad legal subject matter knowledge
- Technical knowledge
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background investigation and/or successfully demonstrate eligibility to receive applicable Government security clearance(s).
As a contractor for the United States Department of Defense, Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.