MCS – Mobile Camouflage System
Protection on the move
Sensor protection and heat-transfer reduction in one system
Military vehicles are used in support of operations in a wide variety of settings with constantly changing threats and intensity. Since vehicles are most vulnerable while moving, mobile camouflage is a highly important equipment area. With optional HeaT Reduction capability further protection is achieved.
As a customer of Saab’s you benefit from a complete life commitment. It is our utmost ambition to support and facilitate your use of our products and services. That is why we are always willing to walk that extra mile to develop a strong and trustful relationship.
Being a customer of ours means that you can rely onSaab’s innovative and technologically advanced state-of-the-art products. But also, it means that you can rely on our dedication and willingness to provide our entire knowledge and know-how for improving your operations. That’s what we call a true commiment.
Saab is the world’s only complete system house within signature management.
The company develops, manufactures and markets a comprehensive range of products for increased survivability and force protection. By working with Saab, you can be certain that you picked the best and most capable partner in the signature management industry.
Saab offers a variety of mobile camouflage solutions. Not only do these solutions protect against hostile sensors and enemy target acquisition, the HeaT Reduction systems also lower the internal temperature of vehicles, thereby extending the endurance of both personnel and electronic equipment
The Mobile Camouflage System (MCS) provides protection to vehicles while moving and during combat. Available in a range of different versions, the system is composed by a combination of camouflage materials with signature adaptation properties such as visual and near-infrared protection, thermal protection and radar protection. MCS can also be equipped with the HeaT Reduction.
Saab's Signature Management product range currently has a customer base of more than 50 countries worldwide.
These customer relations have been built up during more than 50 years of dedicated development in camouflage and deception.
Hot surfaces along with large radar cross-sections make military vehicles highly exposed to sensors and target acquisition systems. Vehicles therefore require advanced signature management equipment in order to achieve sufficient protection against detection and identification. Saab Barracuda’s Mobile Camouflage System is a flexible solution providing multispectral protection for vehicles when moving or in a static position.
Saab Barracuda’s Mobile Camouflage System (MCS) is intended primarily for protection of vehicles while moving and during combat. The Mobile Camouflage System is a flexible solution that can be applied in a number of configurations using different types of materials.
Signature Management Properties
Visual and Near-Infrared. The non-glossy 3-dimensional surface structure of the MCS helps the vehicle to blend in with the surroundings and obstructs visual detection. Colours, near-infrared values and patterns can be adapted to the environmental conditions of the intended region. Conspicuous parts of the vehicle can be furnished with additional contour disrupters.
- Thermal Infrared. The thermal infrared properties are adapted to obstruct thermal reconnaissance and reduce the risk of detection in all climate conditions. The thermal properties provide protection against thermal imagers and other related threats, such as heat seeking missiles.
- Radar. The radar characteristics are customised depending on operational environment and customer-defined threats. MCS provides protection against radar reconnaissance and homing missiles in the range of 1-100 GHz.
- HTR CoolCam. Any configuration of MCS can be complemented with HeaT Reduction CoolCam. The HTR CoolCam system is designed to reduce heat penetration through the hull into vehicles operating in extremely hot climates, such as deserts and tropical regions.
- Ballistic Protection System. MCS can also be complemented with a Ballistic Protection System for improved blast and shrapnel protection. The Ballistic Protection System is made of layered aramid material and foam, combined with our signature management material.
- Shading Umbrella. The multispectral Shading Umbrella obstructs thermal and visual reconnaissance by enemy forces, including snipers, while allowing outward observation by the user. The system also offers shade and significantly reduces solar heating. Additionally, the Umbrella is lightweight, offers rapid deployment and stowage, and has been proven on a variety of vehicles.
- Vehicle Load Carriage System. The Vehicle Load Carriage System offers an easy way of stowing extra material such as ammunition, water or personal equipment on the outside of the vehicle. The system consists of a series of straps that are sewn onto the MCS, and to which pouches and bags of various sizes can be attached.