Saab is seeking a Director of Contracts to report to the General Counsel and provide leadership, vision, direction and structure to the U.S. Contracts function. The Director will drive effective, efficient and value-add procurement planning, sourcing and management aligned with the organization’s strategic priorities and business needs for the U.S. and Canadian businesses. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Lead a cross functional team to ensure the organizational alignment, negotiation, performance and efficient engagement of key world class contracts with the goal of leading a Contracts Department that is seen as a center of excellence for the Company.
- Oversee the divisions within the Contracts Department, including all program contracts management team.
- Develop and implement overarching policies, procedures, systems, structures and frameworks for all contracts related activities to deliver best practice contracts management solutions.
- Provide expert, authoritative advice to key stakeholders on all aspects of contracts strategy and practice to inform business planning and action, encourage innovative approaches and enhance value through improved contracts value, efficiency and outcomes.
- Lead high level negotiations with Company customers, business partners and establish collaborative stakeholder and strategic relationships to maximize the Company’s influence and to develop and implement contracts arrangements and initiatives that deliver optimal value.
- Advise business leads and provide customized solutions to build contracts capability and performance across the Company.
- Establish key performance indicators and qualitative and quantitative metrics to capture, report and evaluate the benefit and performance of all procurement activity and lead improvement planning and implementation in consultation with key stakeholders.
- Exhibit strong background in preparing and reviewing contracts, agreements, and requests for proposals (RFPs) for legal accuracy, price, and acceptability of terms and items to specifications; negotiating or supervising the negotiation of complex proposals.
- Be the primary interface for all contracts with all entities in order to administer contracts, resolve contractual issues, and manage his or her department’s delegation of authority.
- Possess a level of knowledge and business acumen beyond that which is required to handle and resolve daily operational challenges. To be successful, the Director of Contracts must develop, possess, and maintain a comprehensive understanding of the relationships existing across the entire business.
- Handle large amounts of information, organize and coordinate appropriate actions critical to the performance of the Company and the Contracts function.
- Expected to be persuasive in both oral and written communications to express effectively and relentlessly pursue Company positions.
- Plan, direct, and manage contracts activities relative to prospective and awarded contracts.
- Ensure all on-going contracts are in compliance with current government laws, rules, regulations and policies.
- Application of Lean, Six-Sigma or other continuous improvement methodologies to enhance processes, procedures and forms/templates in the contracts areas. Deployment of technology-driven innovation is a strong plus.
- Work closely with Finance advising on rates and contract funding issues. Ensure billings are moving with the most current contract terms and values.
- Attend weekly meetings with Senior Managers to advise and give status on all ongoing contracts.
- Oversee department employees in their efforts to accomplish daily duties on Company contracts and advise them on the proper course of action to resolve issues.
- Recruit, develop and retain high performance personnel and develop overall capabilities and bench strength for the Company.
- Coordinate with and support Procurement function as needed.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree with a focus in Business, Engineering, Manufacturing Management, Production Planning, or equivalent is required.
- JD/MBA/MA/MS degree is a significant plus.
- 15+ years of relevant experience in a DoD/DCAA contractor environment.
- In-depth knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Defense FAR Supplement (DFARS), Government procurement policies, and commercial/ international contracting experience.
- Must have experience and be familiar with all types of contracts, including Cost Reimbursable, Fixed Price, IDIQ, etc.
- Knowledge of Oracle or other ERP systems to increase operational effectiveness, profitability and timely performance within the Contracts function.
- Must have or be able to obtain at least a Secret level security clearance
- Must have the ability to manage professional and administrative personnel.
- Knowledgeable of cost performance reporting and variance analysis.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office products.
- Be of and maintain the highest code of ethics and conduct.
- Ability to exercise strong, strategic thinking.
- Strong leadership, negotiation, communication and planning skills.
- Proven budget management skills.
- Ability to work well within a matrixed environment.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.
Last updated: 04 August 2020 • 19:24