What you will be part of
At Saab in West Lafayette, Indiana, you have the opportunity to join a team that will manufacture the rear section of the T-7A Red Hawk military trainer aircraft for the United States Air Force. When at full capacity by 2027, Saab will employ over 300 employees in the West Lafayette facility in management, administration, and manufacturing. The new flagship facility will utilize advanced manufacturing techniques and leverage research and development to support Saab’s broad product portfolio.
In the U.S., Saab also offers job opportunities in Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C. and our headquarters in Syracuse, New York. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
As Saab is building a new operation in West Lafayette, IN, we are seeking a Director of Engineering to lead a team of highly skilled engineers dedicated to setting up and supporting the assembly production line for the T-7 aircraft. The ideal candidate has significant experience, strong leadership skills, the ability to see opportunities and experience developing engineering teams.
Main areas of responsibility will include:
- Manufacturing engineering for assembly & installation
- Support to production
- Tool design
- Set up working practices and procedures, all supported by the engineering functions at Saab in Sweden and the U.S.
- Recruit for and lead a team of highly skilled engineers, and provide the support needed for them to succeed in their roles.
Among the team’s duties are:
- Production system design and philosophy
- Process planning and documentation
- Producibility reviews
- Control methods
- Specifications for sub-suppliers
- Implementation of lean methods and practices
- Management of requirements and changes
Your experiences and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline is required. Master's degree in Engineering or related field preferred, MBA desirable.
- 15+ years of progressive leadership experience with proven track record of success in leading mid to large functional and/or program organizations.
- At least 10 years of experience in an industrial or manufacturing engineering environment.
- Familiar with the manufacturing environment, preferably in Aerostructures.
- Prior experience leading engineering teams is required.
- Excellent communication and proven leadership skills
- Ability to work well independently, as well as collaboratively in a team setting
- Driven, innovative and takes initiative without being asked
- Accepting of new ideas and has the desire to continue learning
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.
Last updated: 20 November 2019 • 23:16