Saab is seeking a Director of Procurement/ Supply Chain (Chief Procurement Officer) to report to the General Counsel and provide leadership, vision, direction and structure to the U.S. Procurement function. The Director will drive effective, efficient and value-add procurement planning, sourcing and contract management aligned with the organization’s strategic priorities and business needs for the U.S. and Canadian businesses.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Lead a cross functional team to ensure the selection, negotiation, performance and efficient engagement of key world class suppliers for named military grade, aeronautics, and other commodities and developmental items with the goal of transforming the procurement team.
- Oversee the divisions within the Procurement Department, including the supply chain buyers, supply chain program managers, and strategic sourcing teams, which all form the Procurement Department as a strategically oriented, integrated team.
- Develop and implement overarching U.S. and Canada procurement strategies, business plans objectives, policies, procedures, systems, structures and frameworks for all procurement related activities to deliver best practice procurement and contract management solutions, driving value and delivering financial results.
- Provide expert, authoritative advice to key stakeholders on all aspects of procurement strategy and practice to inform business planning and action, encourage innovative approaches and enhance value through improved procurement efficiency and outcomes.
- Lead high level negotiations with procurement partners and suppliers, and establish collaborative stakeholder and strategic supplier relationships to maximize the organization’s influence, and to develop and implement procurement arrangements and initiatives that deliver optimal value for money outcomes.
- Advise business leads and provide customized solutions to build procurement capability and performance across the organization.
- Establish and lead an organization-wide procurement governance and risk management framework to monitor, manage and drive procurement performance, ensure compliance with relevant legislative and policy, manage risks and realize business opportunities.
- Establish key performance indicators, and qualitative and quantitative metrics to capture, report and evaluate the benefit and performance of all procurement activity and lead improvement planning and implementation in consultation with key stakeholders and suppliers.
- Ensure compliance with government and corporate regulations (particularly FAR and DFARS), DoD and FAA procurement regulations.
- Vet suppliers in order to maintain and hold suppliers to the highest code of ethics and conduct.
- Review and provide recommendations in forecasting, production planning, and logistics planning activities.
- Develop and implement formal supplier development procedures utilizing lean principles of continuous improvement.
- Exhibit strong background in preparing and reviewing contracts, requests for proposals (RFPs), supplier agreements, and customer agreements for legal accuracy, price, and acceptability of items to specifications; negotiating or supervising the negotiation of complex proposals; and implementation of RFP and request for quote (RFQ) processes to assess and evaluate sourcing alternatives.
- Represent Saab’s U.S. and Canadian Procurement functions as a participant in Saab’s global procurement team.
Skills and Experience:
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business or related Operations discipline.
- JD/MBA/Master's degree is a plus.
- 15+ years of relevant experience in a DoD/DCAA contractor environment.
- 8+ years of direct and indirect purchasing management experience.
- Strong leadership, negotiation, communication and planning skills.
- Knowledge of Oracle or other ERP systems to increase operational effectiveness, profitability and timely performance within the procurement function.
- Application of Lean, Six-Sigma or other continuous improvement methodologies to enhance processes, procedures and forms/templates in the areas of supplier development, lean purchasing, and technology-driven innovation.
- Successful track record of developing, implementing and managing CPSR procurement systems.
- Demonstrated Material Management Program Planning skills.
- Strong managerial skills of employees of varied degrees of skills and employee development.
- Proven budget management skills.
- Ability to work within a matrixed environment.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Professional certification (CPM, etc.)
- International SCM experience.
- Extensive technical understanding of surface based RF surveillance systems, aeronautics, or other high technology systems.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.