What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation, collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through long-term support.
Are you naturally curious? Do you like brainteasers? Would you like to work with a similarly-minded group of dedicated, enthusiastic people with a reputation for excellence, integrity, and teamwork? Are you looking to build your resume experience and enhance your marketability with real-world, hands-on practice? Then this is the job for you.
Saab is in search of motivated students interested in learning new skills as Integration & Test Engineering co-ops/interns (Sep - Dec) in our Syracuse, NY office. Note that this is NOT an mechanical, aerospace, or avionics engineering position. Work is mostly software-focused, though there may be tasks involving electronics and RF equipment.
Our business encompasses various forms of detecting and tracking aircraft while in flight and on the surface of airports. We specialize in the design and deployment of embedded solutions, the development of integrated surveillance systems, and the fusion of the information each creates. As a full-fledged member of the team, you will support the integration and testing of products for customers from Adelaide to Zurich.
Responsibilities and learning opportunities may include:
- Troubleshooting complex systems
- Developing, documenting, and executing test procedures
- Conducting system integration in a lab environment
- Generating and investigating bug reports
- Constructing test scenarios using simulators
- Creating, updating, and validating test tools
- Participating in technical reviews
- Performing data analysis
- Join a team that also builds collaboration and fun through team building activities that include team lunches, team activities, and team events.
At Saab you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on state-of-the-art products that save lives. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of engineers to ensure that products used for Air Traffic Surveillance safely meet their requirements and intended use. You will learn from world-class employees in an environment that fosters professional development, collaboration, and support at all levels. Are you up to the challenge?
Your skills and experience
To be successful, you should:
- Ask many inquisitive questions and then listen to and learn from the answers
- Be able to generalize from examples
- Handle responsibility well
- Always consider context and stakeholders
- Be self-motivated, energetic, tenacious, well-organized, flexible, and thorough
- Maintain high standards of quality and attention to detail
- Read and follow directions
- Have an eye for noticing inconsistencies and a passion for reconciling them
- Demonstrate clear, concise, and correct written and oral communication, including grammar, spelling, and composition
- Display creativity, ingenuity, reliable intuition, and well-developed problem-solving skills
- Practice time management and prioritization skills
- Possess effective interpersonal and teamwork skills, particularly with respect to advocacy and negotiation
- Understand the need for control, repeatability, and risk management and act accordingly and proactively
- Enrollment in an accredited degree program, with a major in an engineering discipline, computer science. physics, or mathematics (other majors considered with justification)
- Cumulative overall GPA of 3.0 or better
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows applications
- Ability to manage a dynamic workload in a fast-paced environment
Desired Technical Skills:
- Familiarity with integration methodologies such as top-down and big-bang
- Familiarity with test methodologies such as black box and exploratory
- Familiarity with SUN Solaris, Unix, and/or Linux
- Experience with Python, Java, and/or C++
- Experience with MATLAB and/or LabVIEW
Selected candidates will be invited to participate in phone and/or on-site interviews.
Paid assignment, casual work attire, paid holidays, flexible work hours, 401(k), fitness facility
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).