What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation, collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in
more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through
Work hands-on solving problems and developing solutions supporting our civil air traffic control products. Build your resume experience and enhance your marketability with real-work and practice through a Co-Op/Intern opportunity!
Saab ATM is seeking motivated, enthusiastic engineering students who are interested in a Fall 2020 (Sep-Dec) Co-op/Intern opportunity at our Collamer location in East Syracuse, NY. Longer co-op terms may be available upon request.
As part of the Air Traffic Management (ATM) Products and Programs group, you would be working with our System Engineers to add new capabilities to our civil air traffic automation and surveillance systems.
Your skills and experience
- Enrollment in an accredited degree program, with an emphasis in Software, Electrical, Systems or related Engineering
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Completion of at least freshman year
- Ability to read/write software in C, C++, Matlab, Java and/or Visual Basic
- Experience with Linux
- Comfortable performing hands-on tasks in a laboratory environment
- Ability to work with others who have varying backgrounds and skills
Desired Skills and Interests
- Experience working with electronics, firmware and embedded software
- Knowledge of SysML or UML
- Knowledge of IP networking
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in civil aviation
- Interest in software, electronics and networking technology
To be successful, you should:
- Ask many inquisitive questions and then listen to and learn from the answers
- Be able to generalize from examples
- Handle responsibility well
- Always consider context and stakeholders
- Be self-motivated, energetic, tenacious, well-organized, flexible, and thorough
- Maintain high standards of quality and attention to detail
- Read and follow directions
- Have an eye for noticing inconsistencies and a passion for reconciling them
- Demonstrate clear, concise, and correct written and oral communication, including grammar, spelling, and composition
- Display creativity, ingenuity, reliable intuition, and well-developed problem-solving skills
- Practice time management and prioritization skills
- Possess effective interpersonal and teamwork skills, particularly with respect to advocacy and negotiation
- Understand the need for control, repeatability, and risk management and act accordingly and proactively
- Enrollment in an accredited degree program, with a major in an engineering discipline, computer science. physics, or mathematics (other majors considered with justification)
- Cumulative overall GPA of 3.0 or better
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows applications
- Ability to manage a dynamic workload in a fast-paced environment
Desired Technical Skills:
- Familiarity with integration methodologies such as top-down and big-bang
- Familiarity with test methodologies such as black box and exploratory
- Familiarity with SUN Solaris, Unix, and/or Linux
- Experience with Python, Java, and/or C++
- Experience with MATLAB and/or LabVIEW
Selected candidates will be invited to participate in phone and/or on-site interviews.
Paid assignment, casual work attire, paid holidays, flexible work hours, 401(k), fitness facility
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).