What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation, collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in
more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through long-term support.
Saab ATM is currently seeking a creative and independent software engineer for its new Future Capabilities team. The Future Capabilities team has been formed to research and develop technologies and product ideas that have strategic, long-term value. Through research and rapid-prototyping, you will have the opportunity to assist in creating demonstrations and determining the viability and quality of technical and product ideas. Given the entrepreneurial nature of the team, you will also have the opportunity to help tackle business challenges, like evaluating customer needs and identifying the potential of new product ideas. Some of the team’s current research priorities include progressive web applications, Big Data pipelines, mobile applications, computer vision, and unmanned aerial systems (UAS).
Your role will be to:
- Be an active, analytical thinker and hands-on contributor
- Start with broad problem statements or goals, and determine how to solve them or reduce uncertainty
- Perform research into the availability of existing solutions and technologies
- Document your findings and propose R&D plans
- Implement prototypes and demonstrations
- Communicate with the larger organization to share ideas, challenges, and results
Your skills and experience
- You must have a passion for software, technology, and problem solving
- BS in engineering
- Comfortable with multiple programming languages
- Experience with finding and applying new technologies
- Strong understanding of software development processes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to travel ~10% of the time
- Experience designing system/software architectures
- Experience working with different types of databases (SQL, NoSQL, MapReduce, etc.)
- Experience with messaging middleware (Kafka, Apache NiFi)
This position does not require a specific number of years of experience, although the final job level will be commensurate with the selected individual’s experience and skills.
Saab ATM provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, comprehensive benefits, work/life balance, business-casual atmosphere, paid holidays, cafeteria and a fitness facility.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.