What you will be part of
At Saab in West Lafayette, Indiana, you have the opportunity to join a team that will manufacture the rear section of the T-7A Red Hawk military trainer aircraft for the United States Air Force. When at full capacity by 2027, Saab will employ over 300 employees in the West Lafayette facility in management, administration, and manufacturing. The new flagship facility will utilize advanced manufacturing techniques and leverage research and development to support Saab’s broad product portfolio.
In the U.S., Saab also offers job opportunities in Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C. and our headquarters in Syracuse, New York. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
As Saab is building a new green field operation in West Lafayette, IN, we are seeking a General Manager to lead and grow the company’s operations. The ideal candidate has significant experience, strong leadership skills, the ability to manage risks and opportunities and experience developing highly motivated management teams.
The successful candidate will be the senior Saab employee in West Lafayette and will be responsible for setting up the new facility and for all aspects of managing and growing Saab’s aerospace business in West Lafayette, including:
- Set up ways of working, standard operating procedures, and practices for the facility, all supported by the engineering and support functions at Saab in Sweden and the U.S.
- Recruit for and lead a team of highly skilled and motivated managers and employees.
- Lead and structure the management team, and provide the support needed for them to succeed in their roles.
- Develop, implement, and manage Saab’s U.S. aerospace market growth strategy in partnership with marketing and sales organizations in the U.S. and Sweden.
- Set clear expectations and establish performance targets for the local team and deliver on set targets.
- Effectively develop and manage senior level internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Effectively develop and manage relations and cooperation with the community and local partners.
- Develop and manage a culture and program of Health and Safety priority within the facility.
- Effectively represent Saab in local political, community, and industrial engagements.
Your experiences and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering or related discipline is required. MBA/ Master's degree desirable.
- 20+ years of progressive leadership experience with proven track record of success in leading mid to large functional and/or program organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and grow business in Aerospace and Defense markets
- Prior experience running manufacturing operations, preferably in Aerostructures.
- Experience setting up Greenfield is an advantage
- Entrepreneurial spirit and enjoys building new relationships
- Driven, innovative and takes initiative without being asked
- Excellent communication and strong leadership skills
- Ability to work well independently, as well as collaboratively in a team setting
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.