What you will be part of
At Saab Sensor Systems you will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class engineers and professionals in an environment that fosters career development, collaboration and support at all levels. A business unit of Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, Sensor Systems is focused on the design, development, integration, test, deployment, and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems, primarily for industry partners and US Government agencies. Headquartered in Syracuse, NY, we also offer opportunities to work from locations in Florida, North Carolina and Virginia.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, Sensor Systems Division is seeking a dynamic, results-oriented individual to lead the company’s small Technical Writing team in creating create technical manuals for complex electronic systems. Candidate must have extensive technical writing experience for radar, avionics, aviation, communication, or similar technical systems. Candidate must also be capable of managing the company’s technical writing team and processes and interfacing with the training professionals.
- Interpreting and complying with DoD instructions and standards for technical writing
- Planning and executing components of technical writing projects for new engineering product development or upgrades to existing products
- Collecting technical source data from multiple sources, including design specifications, schematics, SME interviews, COTS suppliers, and hands-on use of products
- Integrating source data and writing clear, concise, and structured technical procedures using engineering inputs and COTS manuals
- Incorporating graphics, schematics, figures, and other visual objects into manuals using various media formats
- Applying company’s format and style requirements consistently and validating the accuracy and completeness of content before submitting documents for review
- Acquiring solid technical knowledge of Saab technology and products to improve effectiveness of technical and training documents
- Estimating costs and work required for technical writing components of new proposals
- Recommending industry best practices and participating in process improvements
- Infrequent travel to US and international locations for short periods may be required
Your experiences and skills
Required Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in writing, information design, communications, or education discipline AND 15+ years of relevant experience (or applicable military training)
- MA/MS degree in an engineering discipline or related discipline AND 10+ years of relevant experience (or applicable military training)
- Experience with writing manuals to established standards for DoD or U.S. Government agencies
- Experience with S1000D architecture and common source database tools
- Experience tagging S1000D-compliant documents per DoD schema or DTD specifications
- Experience using structured FrameMaker, Acrobat Pro, ArborText Editor, Eagle EPS, and similar software tools to write Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs)
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications, especially PowerPoint, Visio, and Word
- Understanding and awareness of cultural differences
- Ability to be flexible in fast-paced environment and adapt to changing priorities
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience using Raytheon’s Eagle Publishing System
- Experience working in a front-end engineering/software development setting
- Military or aerospace experience operating or maintaining electronic equipment is a big plus
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background investigation and/or successfully demonstrate eligibility to receive applicable Government security clearance(s).
As a contractor for the United States Department of Defense, Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 15,500 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, or disability status.
Last updated: 07 January 2019 • 14:16