What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Within the Air Traffic Management unit, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Programs business segment develops solutions and delivers these solutions to the FAA. Our cutting-edge technologies help make air travel safer and more efficient for air travelers throughout the nation.
Saab is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic candidate to assume a leadership position as the System Engineering Manager within our FAA Programs team. The successful candidate must have experience leading a large team and have significant project execution experience.
This position also allows the individual to balance management responsibly with the opportunity to contribute on major FAA programs as an individual contributor at the same time. This approach ensures our engineering staff remains current in the latest technologies while retaining a career path that provides extensive management challenges along the way.
The experienced leader will be expected to manage a diverse System Engineering team that focuses on technology development, product management and field deployment associated with contracted programs with the FAA. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate their ability to perform the following responsibilities:
- Staff engineering work for Syracuse-based programs, including FAA contracts, R&D activities, product improvement activities
- Lead efforts to establish synergies (people and products) across FAA Programs activities
- Lead, manage, coach and develop organizational talent to support the multitude of FAA Programs activities
- Recognize and plan for technical project risks, and providing general technical guidance to the engineering teams
- Manage the unique product needs of the FAA to ensure sustainment of healthy systems within the National Airspace System (NAS)
- Assist fellow Senior Staff managers with identifying processes, methods, tools, and / or skill sets required to improve project execution (make programs more efficient, mitigate risk more effectively, etc.)
- Interface with the Proposal Development team to understand requirements for new product features and create cost estimates to support investment analysis. As well, participate in proposal efforts, both to ensure the proper technical solution is being proposed and to ensure that proper cost estimates have been created
- Interact with customers, aiding program teams with the communication of specific technical issues, identifying paths to resolve issues, and/or assisting with the technical project planning or execution
- Develop and maintain engineering metrics to improve processes, efficiency and capability
Saab Sensis provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, comprehensive benefits, work/life balance, business-casual atmosphere, paid holidays, cafeteria and a fitness facility.
Your skills and experience
The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate BA/BS degree with at least 15+ years of Engineering experience in comparable industries, plus 6 years of Engineering Management experience. An advanced degree is a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience utilizing Engineering and Product Management processes.
- Ability to plan and manage at both the strategic and operational levels.
- Ability to establish and manage relationships with existing and potential customers and industry partners. Excellent interpersonal skills with senior level customers and teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team oriented environment.
- Capacity to assume more significant responsibilities over time.
- FAA or Government program experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements: Between 10% to 25%
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
As a Federal Contractor for the United States, Saab Sensis is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be a U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.