What you will be a part of
Surveillance provides efficient solutions for safety and security, for surveillance and decision support, and for threat detection and protection. The portfolio covers airborne, ground-based and naval radar, electronic warfare, combat systems and C4I solutions, and traffic management systems.
We are now looking for students who will be interested in our Master Thesis subject:
Energy Harvesting for Power Supply to Sensors
Energy harvesting, meaning that electrical energy is derived from ambient energy sources e.g. wind energy, solar power, kinetic energy or ambient electromagnetic energy has during recent years emerged as concept to supply small autonomous electronic devices. One example is supply to devices in wireless sensor networks.
The expression energy harvesting (sometimes called ambient power or energy scavenging) have come to be associated with low power devices, even though energy sources as wind- hydro- and sun power plants successfully have been used for long times, both for small and large scale installations.
It is proposed to investigate the potential for use of different energy sources within the concept energy harvesting for power supply to sensors or sensor related products within Saab.
The thesis work is proposed to include following parts:
- Identify potential energy sources possible to convert to electrical energy
- Estimation of available energy from identified energy sources, also considering impact from different environments e.g. dependence from geographical factors
- Investigation of need for energy storage and concepts for energy storage.
- Determine which types of electronic equipment that fits for supply from the identified potential energy sources. Combinations from multiple sources and combination of different sources should also be considered.
- Present suitable generators, conversion technologies and topologies.
- Present supply architecture based on energy harvesting concept for a sensor system requiring 100 W or some hundreds of Watts of electrical power.
- A practical demonstration of a “miniature” energy harvesting system.
The master thesis work is proposed for one or two persons and is rated 30 hp and 60 hp respectively. You will be located at SAAB Surveillance (Gothenburg), which will provide supervision concerning the development and provide necessary software and hardware Tools.
Your skills and experience
We are looking for students who seek a challenging research work with the freedom to propose and develop his/her ideas. To be successful in this thesis work the candidates would need M.Sc. studies in Power Electronics, Digital Control or similar #LI-DNP.
The recruitment will be an on-going recruitment so don´t hesitate to apply!
The position entails working with classified information. Therefore, you are required to participate in and pass a security test conducted by authority.