Modeling and Simulation Engineer with research interest
Which are the energy optimal system solutions for future air vehicles? Do you want to take air vehicle system conceptual design to the next level? Saab Aeronautics Vehicle Systems is now recruiting a Systems Engineer and Industrial PhD Candidate for Research & Development of new energy efficient system solutions.
Saab is initiating a research project “Conceptual design enabling efficient aircraft platform energy management” and is now looking for an Industrial PhD Candidate to play a central role. You will perform research within model-based conceptual development of energy optimal system solutions – both from a development methodology and future technologies perspective. The aim of the project is to establish capability to take greater account of crucial technical and operational details already at an early design stage, to determine which connections between subsystems are required and which type of heat sinks and energy storages are needed to solve a certain set of operational scenarios.
Saab has been granted funding of the Industrial PhD Candidate for the next three years. You will be employed by Saab, get a fully paid research education at Linköping University (LiU), and perform research at LiU and Saab in Linköping. During research, your location is split between LiU and Saab. After completed research, you will continue your work at the Vehicle Systems department at Saab.
You have a holistic systems design perspective and a great interest in Modelling & Simulation (M&S) and conceptual design of energy efficient systems. You must have the ambition to successfully complete a Licentiate of Engineering degree with the possible extension to PhD. If you already have a Licentiate of Engineering degree in a relevant area, the project can aim directly at a PhD degree.
· M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace, Vehicle Engineering, or equivalent.
· Strong ambition to perform academic research within the field of aeronautical engineering, and to apply and implement research results in an industrial setting.
· Good knowledge in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, comfortable setting up high level system analysis and trade-offs based on energy-flows.
· Excellent communication skills in Swedish and English, verbal and written.
· Experience in M&S of technical systems, primarily physical systems but also control systems, using e.g. Modelica or Simulink.
· Hands-on knowledge in data processing, analysis, and scripting in e.g. Matlab or Python.
· Experience in multi-disciplinary design optimization (MDO).
· A background and interest in aeronautical engineering and/or experience from other relevant industry domains such as hybrid-electric drive-trains and automotive vehicle energy management applications.
This position requires that you will be approved in a security screening in accordance with the Swedish Protective Security Act.
What you will be a part of
The Vehicle Systems department is organized within Research & Development at Business
Area Aeronautics and consists of approximately 200 employees. You will be a part of the System Simulation & Concept Development team.
The Vehicle Systems department is responsible for development of the vehicle systems in all products within Aeronautics. Examples of vehicle systems are hydraulics, fuel, environmental control, electrical power, landing gear, escape- and oxygen, and aircrew equipment. We are working on military and training platforms like Gripen E and TX, but also commercial aircraft and future concepts including Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). Typical assignments for the System Simulation & Concept Development team include but is not restricted to:
· Analysis and design of vehicle systems including their control, e.g. M&S of new system solutions and performance calculations for existing systems.
· Involvement in planning and analysis of physical ground- and flight testing.
· Development and verification & validation of simulation models, both for detailed system analysis and real-time simulator applications.
· Involvement in Saab internal research projects, concept development, and business development within the Vehicle Systems department, and coordination with surrounding technical areas.
· Participation in national and international strategic research projects.
We are currently 10 engineers working within System Simulation & Concept Development and we are now looking to hire.
Observe that you can send us your application in either Swedish or English.
If you aspire to help create and innovate whilst developing yourself in a challenging team setting, Saab may well have the perfect conditions for you to grow. We pride ourselves on a nurturing environment, where everyone is different yet we share the same goal – to help protect people.