What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation, collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through long-term support.
Saab ATM, is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, results-oriented individual as a Specialty (Safety) Engineer. The Safety Engineer participates in hazard identification with ATC operational experts, performs cause and effect analyses, develops barriers to causes and mitigations to effects, writes safety requirements for products and ensures those requirements are met. The safety engineer will produce safety reports and other related safety documentation. The safety engineer also monitors changes to our products for any impact to operational ATC safety.
As the Safety Engineer you will:
- Conduct system safety analyses on Air Traffic Control surveillance and automation systems in accordance with industry best-practices.
- Collaborate with developers and field engineers to ensure that all safety-related requirements are addressed
- Create and maintain safety related documentation for products and for specific contracts
- Review changes to products for their safety impact
- Support proposal efforts
- Interact with internal or external customers on technical and programmatic issues
- Balance multiple concurrent program and activities
Minimal travel, less than 10%
Your skills and experience
Education & Experience
- BA/BS degree in an engineering discipline or related discipline and 0-10 years experience
- Knowledge of aviation safety processes.
- Familiarity with standard safety tools such as hazard analysis, cause and effect diagrams, FMEA.
- Use problem solving skills and analytical thinking.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work in a team and form productive working relationships with others.
- Take a stand when necessary for safety.
- Experience with Eurocontrol SAM, ED-78, SESAR Safety Reference Material or similar.
- Experience with DO-278A/ED-109A or similar software safety assurance standards.
- Familiarity with air traffic control operations and procedures
- Knowledge of ATC surveillance or automation systems
- Development and operation of a safety management system
Saab ATM provides an excellent working environment offering, comprehensive benefits, tuition reimbursement, work/life balance, business-casual atmosphere, cafeteria and a fitness facility.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.