What you will be part of
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC (SDAS) provides solutions and technology that are at the core of defense and homeland security. SDAS is headquartered in Syracuse, NY and is comprised of four business units in various locations in the United States. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is seeking a dynamic, results-oriented Senior Communications and Government Affairs Professional to report to the Head of Corporate Affairs. The successful candidate will collaborate with the Communications and Government Affairs team to advance business objectives, promote Saab’s brand in the U.S., and assist in planning and executing Saab’s Government Affairs strategy.
- Manage relationships with media representatives including coordinating press releases and public relations events.
- Collaborate with external communication agencies to develop various communication and marketing materials.
- Create media opportunities and work with agencies to get favourable media coverage.
- In coordination with Saab AB, manage and promote Saab’s brand in the U.S. to provide consistent, clear messaging.
- Assist in the development and execution of media events, trade shows and other internal and external events as applicable.
- Develop, implement and manage a social media strategy.
- Draft messages, talking points, and speeches from senior executives for external audiences and ensure consistent framing of messages.
- Lead the development and execution of internal communications plans as appropriate.
Government Affairs responsibilities:
- Create and execute specific opportunities for Saab’s business and operations in the legislative, policy, and political environments.
- Recommend company positioning, priorities, internal and external strategy, and tactics to executive leadership as related to legislation, policy and politics.
- Represent Saab before U.S. federal, state and local governments.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with federal elected officials and staff.
- Utilize Government Affairs knowledge to impact communication to key internal and external audiences (employees, media, Congress).
Your skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Public Relations, Government Affairs or related discipline
- 5+ years of experience working with Capitol Hill or similar position in executive branch agency
- Experience working with media relations and/or experience from within journalism
- Operational and strategic communication experience
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills and demonstrated ability to write for a variety of different audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate and work with senior executives.
- Ability to devise creative and effective communication strategies.
- Working knowledge of information technology, especially digital and video means of communication including social media.
- Ability to travel up to 20% domestically and internationally
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 15,500 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.
Last updated: 06 August 2019 • 12:46