What you will be part of
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation, collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through long-term support.
Saab Air Traffic Management has an opening for a Senior Software/System Safety Engineer in our Automation and Surveillance segment in East Syracuse, NY. The team designs, develops and improves state-of-the-art products for Air Traffic Management. As a Senior Safety Engineer, you will:
- Lead and perform safety analyses (Hazards Analysis, Failure Modes Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, and System Safety Assessment)
- Review industry standards, customer requirements, problem reports, and product specifications to identify the potential safety impact
- Recommend design and verification methods to assure compliance with applicable codes & standard s and to ensure safety
- Conduct system safety analyses on Air Traffic Control surveillance and automation systems in accordance with industry best-practices
- Communicate findings of the analyses and design verification in authored reports and presentations
- Interact with internal or external customers on technical and programmatic issues
- Balance multiple concurrent programs and activities
Minimal travel, less than 10%
At Saab ATM you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on state-of'-the-art products that save lives. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of engineers to ensure that products used for Air Traffic Surveillance meet their requirements and intended use. You will also work with world-class engineers in an environment that fosters professional development, collaboration, and support at all levels.
Saab ATM, provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, including Tuition Assistance, cafeteria and Fitness Facility.
Your skills and experience
A minimum of a bachelors degree in engineering from an accredited institution and 8 years of relevant experience. Safety, software and system focuses are preferred. Advanced degrees are welcome.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Proven experience with software safety assurance standards and software safety analysis methods
- Proven experience working with radar and surveillance systems or other software-intensive electronic or electro-mechanical systems
- Proven experience with risk management
- Ability to solve problems, influence product or system architecture, and account for safety engineering requirements
- Ability to act as a Senior level RI for safety engineering domain specific processes and practices, but also willing to roll up your sleeves to execute deliverables.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior time management skills and be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work in a team and form productive working relationships
- A willingness to take a stand for safety when necessary
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
As a Federal Contactor for the United States, Saab Sensis is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be permanent residents, U.S. Citizens or protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) in order to be considered for employment.