What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Saab Sensis Corporation, Air Traffic Management business unit, is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, results-oriented individual as a Senior Specialty (Safety) Engineer. The Senior Specialty (Safety) Engineer evaluates Saab Sensis’s products to assure compliance with ATM industry standards, customer regulations, and the company’s quality management system. The system safety engineer evaluates from a product standpoint and a project standpoint the potential safety impact on air traffic control operations posed by our deployed systems. The Senior Specialty (Safety) Engineer advises design engineering, product development management, and project management on the potential risk posed by the products.
This will be approximately a 12 month assignment.
The Senior Specialty (Safety) Engineer:
- Conducts system safety analyses on Air Traffic Control surveillance and automation systems in accordance with EURCONTROL Safety Assessment Methodology and equivalent system safety processes
- Analyzes industry standards, customer requirements, problem reports, and product specifications to identify the potential safety impact
- Perform design verification (Preliminary Hazards Analyses, Operational Hazard Analyses, Failure Modes Effects Analysis, Subsystem Hazard Analyses, Software Safety Assurance, and System Safety Assessment)
- Recommends design or test methods to assure compliance with applicable codes & standards and to ensure safety
- Communicates findings of the analyses and design verification in authored reports and presentations
- Interacts with internal or external customers on technical and programmatic issues
- Balances multiple concurrent program and activities
Minimal travel, less than 10%
Saab Sensis Corporation provides an excellent working environment offering, work/life balance, business-casual atmosphere, cafeteria and a fitness facility.
Your skills and experience
Education & Experience
- BA/BS degree in an engineering discipline or related discipline and 8+ years experience
- MA/MS degree in an engineering discipline or related discipline and 6+ years experience
- PhD degree in an engineering discipline or related discipline 4+ years experience
- Proven experience with risk management system such as EURCONTROL Safety Assessment Methodology or other system
- Proven experience with software safety assurance and familiarity with ED-109A/DO-278A or equivalent standards
- Proven experience working with radar and surveillance systems or other technologically-advanced electronic or electro-mechanical systems and software intensive systems.
- Ability to act as an RI for safety engineering domain specific processes and practices.
- Experience with JIRA or equivalent issue management systems
- Experience with proposals, project management
- Ability to influence product or system architecture to account for safety engineering requirements.
- Effectively uses problem solving skills and analytical thinking.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to concurrently work effectively within multiple engineering teams.
As a Federal Contractor for the United States, Saab Sensis is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be permanent residents or U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 15,500 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, or disability status.
Last updated: 20 February 2019 • 02:16