Saab's Radar Surveillance division is seeking a Senior Staff Electrical Engineer specializing in system power design for military radar systems. The location of this position is flexible; the successful candidate will have the ability to either work remotely or onsite in the East Syracuse, NY office.
Responsibilities will include:
- Application of engineering principles and techniques to develop the architecture and detailed design of complex power systems/subsystems for ground, shipboard and airborne radars.
- Selecting and proposing methods and techniques for the development of power generation, conversion, conditioning, monitoring and distribution for complex radar systems.
- Developing system requirements, architecture and interfaces for complex radar systems.
- Perform detailed design functions including component selection, load calculations, power budgets, subcontract product specifications and design layout for electrical systems.
- Coordinating with and managing electrical system suppliers in the development, integration, and testing of power system components.
- Leading small technical teams to achieve program objectives.
- Provide effective communication between functional management, functional teams, customers, contractors and suppliers.
- Assisting in the planning of tasks and collection/reporting of execution metrics.
- Applying work experience to identify and contribute to process improvements.
Skills and Experience:
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or other related degree program.
- Experience developing power system/subsystem requirements, architecture and design.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in all areas of power system design and development including but not limited to: ac/dc & dc/dc power converter design, system power distribution design, developing and maintaining power budgets, power conditioning, system monitoring modeling, implementation, testing and debugging.
- Experience with power system design for high power, pulsed radar systems.
- Experience with developing subcontract specifications for power system components such as high power converters, conditioning units, filters etc.
- Demonstrated ability to act independently.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills are a must.
- Ability to effectively interface with functional teams, customers, contractors and suppliers.
- Ability to evaluate vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Experience estimating size, cost and schedule of a hardware development effort.
- Must hold or be able to obtain U.S. DoD SECRET security clearance.
Desired Education, Experience and Skills:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or other related degree program.
- Experience with military standards: MIL-STD-704, MIL-STD-1399-300, MIL-STD-461.
- Knowledge of analog circuits, design and analysis.
- Experience with lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, power quality meters, etc.
- Knowledge of PCB design.
- PSPICE and/or LTSPICE tool Experience.
- Ability to design for test, manufacturing and reliability.
- Experience mentoring and developing junior engineers.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.