What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Air Traffic Management's (Saab Sensis Corporation) has an opening for the role of Senior Staff Integration & Test Engineer in its Automation and Surveillance segment in East Syracuse, NY. As a member of the team, you will lead the integration and test efforts for the SYSAT program. SYSAT is a development and deployment program for the modernization of the control towers in Charles de Gaulle, Orly, and Le Bourget airports. Saab in under contract with DSNA, France’s Air Navigation Service Provider to provide multiple Integrated Air Traffic Systems, including approach coverage, which are anticipated to go operational after the 2024 Olympics.
Note that this is NOT a mechanical, aerospace, or avionics engineering position. Work is mostly software-focused, though there may be tasks involving electronics and RF equipment.
Responsibilities and learning opportunities include:
- Discovering, investigating, and solving problems
- Planning and leading verification and validation activities
- Providing technical oversight for a team of test & integration engineers
- Allocating resources, including personnel, tools, equipment, and labs
- Developing, documenting, and executing test approaches and procedures
- Ensuring compliance with ED-109A software safety objectives
- Assisting with hardware, software, and system integration and troubleshooting
- Participating in status meetings and technical reviews of designs and documents
- Interacting with internal and external customers on technical and programmatic issues
- Travel 15%
Your skills and experience
To be successful and a strong cultural fit, you should:
- Be self-motivated, energetic, tenacious, well-organized, flexible, and thorough
- Create trust and influence to achieve goals
- Have an analytical eye for noticing inconsistencies and an innovative passion for reconciling them
- Display creativity, ingenuity, reliable intuition, and well-developed problem-solving skills
- Ask many inquisitive questions and then listen to and learn from the answers
- Be able to generalize from examples
- Practice time management and prioritization skills
- Naturally think logically and critically
- Read and follow directions and standard operating procedures
- Handle responsibility well and act on constructive feedback
- Demonstrate moderated discipline, pragmatic perseverance, scientific curiosity, and measured skepticism
Required Professional Skills:
- Ability to manage a dynamic workload in a fast-paced environment
- Clear, concise, and correct written and oral communication
- High standards of quality and attention to detail
- Expertise in troubleshooting, problem decomposition, root cause analysis, and risk analysis.
- Ability to efficiently diagnosis problem areas and recommend cost-effective solutions
- Expertise in software and hardware integration methodologies such as top-down and big-bang
- Expertise in software and hardware test methodologies such as black box, exploratory, and usability
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and Windows applications
Desired Technical Skills:
- Fluency in French and English (CEFR B2 or better)
- Expertise with Jira and DOORS
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python, Java, C++, and Linux
- Familiarity with TCP/IP networking and protocols
- Familiarity with operating electronic test gear such as oscilloscopes, power meters, and waveform generators
Desired Leadership Abilities:
- Possess effective interpersonal and teamwork skills, particularly with respect to advocacy and negotiation
- Consider context, stakeholders, and consequences when making decisions
- Understand the need for control, repeatability, and risk management and act accordingly and proactively
- Monitor team members’ productivity and progress and ensure milestones are met
- Provide mentoring and broad technical guidance and coaching to others
- BS from an accredited degree program, with a major in an engineering discipline, computer science. physics, or mathematics and 15+ years’ experience in a technical environment
- MS from an accredited degree program, with a major in an engineering discipline, computer science. physics, or mathematics and 13+ years’ experience in a technical environment
- PhD from an accredited degree program, with a major in an engineering discipline, computer science. physics, or mathematics and 11+ years’ experience in a technical environment
Saab Sensis provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, comprehensive benefits, work/life balance, business-casual atmosphere, paid holidays, cafeteria and a fitness facility.
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
As a Federal Contractor for the United States, Saab Sensis is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be permanent residents or U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.