What you will be part of
At Saab Surveillance U.S. you will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class engineers and professionals in an environment that fosters career development, collaboration and support at all levels. A business unit of Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, the division is focused on the design, development, integration, test, deployment, and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems, primarily for industry partners and U.S. Government agencies. Headquartered in Syracuse, NY, we also offer opportunities to work from locations in Florida, North Carolina and Virginia. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, Surveillance U.S. division is seeking a highly motivated Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer to lead the mechanical design, analysis and integration of a radar system, including planning, scheduling, status, cost account management and team oversight for the hardware development efforts.
The successful candidate will provide technical leadership and management on development efforts, facilitate interdepartmental communication, participate in customer design review, and production support.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Performing Finite Element Analysis (Structural and Thermal).
- Understanding the fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering and application of those fundamentals to solve problems.
- Applying existing knowledge to identify, manage, and resolve design issues, supplier quality issues, manufacturing and field issues.
- Creating and modifying assembly drawings, schematics, vendor item control drawings, connection diagrams and bills of materials for complex electro-mechanical equipment.
- Following company standard operating procedures and Quality System requirements to perform all aspects of the position.
- Planning, organizing and estimating required effort for responsible tasks.
- Contributing in a team environment to obtain common goals, providing technical leadership where applicable.
- Working independently to achieve technical and program requirements.
Your skills and experience
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or similar) with 8+ years’ experience. (6+ years if MA/MS or 4+ years if PhD).
- Experience in thermal and vibration analysis and environmental test including vibration and shock.
- Experience with a broad range of applied, advanced design with a fundamental understanding the product development life cycle.
- Must have experience using ANSYS Mechanical Workbench and IcePak.
- Experience performing analysis against MIL-STD’s.
- Fundamental understanding of industry accepted design methods and practices, including design choices/ tradeoffs, test data and requirement/ specification changes.
- Hand calculations based on fundamental equations.
- Cooling of active electronic assemblies.
- Thermal modeling using IcePak.
- Ability to participate in program execution throughout its entire lifecycle (from conceptual design, structural and thermal task definitization, understanding and highlighting the critical path(s), organizing and leading a team through PDR, CDR and qualification testing).
- Experience using SolidWorks and AutoCad (DWG editor), MS Excel and MS Word to create drawings and documents.
- Possess general knowledge of industrial electronic systems including enclosures, cabinets, chassis, electrical connectors, cabling, and mounting hardware.
- Ability to read and review mechanical drawings for proper dimensioning tolerances and accuracy and completeness.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.