What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Saab Sensis Corporation is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer for product development. We need self-motivated problem solvers who can support all phases of the product lifecycle with design, requirements management, integration, troubleshooting and safety engineering. Our Air Traffic Management products include cooperative surveillance sensor systems, primary radar, data processing software, air traffic automation, controller working positions and the network and server systems used to deploy them.
Responsibilities and Opportunities Include:
- Development of system architectures and designs that balance software, firmware and hardware implementation.
- Lead or work within small interdisciplinary teams to develop detailed designs and technical and programmatic artifacts.
- System decomposition to develop software and hardware requirements.
- Requirements and specification version management.
- Develop technical documentation and presentation materials for design reviews and support the production of technical manuals.
- Participate in or lead programmatic and technical discussions with internal and external customers.
- Hands-on product integration and troubleshooting experience using Linux command line skills, network analysis tools, RF test equipment and/or custom LabVIEW tools.
- Analyzing and reducing large data sets to quantify system performance, investigate anomalies, and develop solutions.
- Model system performance and generate system and interface testing scenarios
- Support Customer Service and Program Engineers with deployment and troubleshooting of systems throughout the world.
- Support proposal activities by analyzing requirements, assessing compliance/NRE, providing cost and schedule input, and providing/editing technical written material.
- Utilize and improve existing Saab processes, policies, and products
ATM Operating Unit, Saab Sensis Corporation, provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, including Tuition Assistance, cafeteria and Fitness Facility.
Your skills and experience
Education and Experience Required:
- A bachelor's degree in engineering or a related discipline from an accredited institution; or
- Relevant military education & training
- Technical/project experience consistent with that of a senior engineer or technical professional (8+ years’ experience)
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated personal time management, planning, and organizing skills.
- Technical project planning skills (including providing cost and schedule estimates).
- Drive to take ownership of and responsibility for major tasks and programs.
- Ability to identify, understand, and manage risks proactively.
- Knowledge of, or technical background to learn, the theory of operation, design, and optimization processes for cooperative and non-cooperative surveillance products.
- Ability to understand customer requirements and develop system-level, product level and component level requirements.
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal), present to, and collaborate with both technical and non-technical colleagues and customers.
- Ability to generate high-quality technical documentation, including architecture documents, requirements specifications, interface descriptions, reports, and white papers.
- An interest in international travel and the ability to work with technical counterparts from different countries and cultures around the world.
- Understand high-level programming languages such as Matlab, C/C++, Java, Python, etc.
Desired Skills: (though trainable)
- Knowledge of air traffic surveillance systems
- Knowledge of software safety processes (e.g., ED-109)
- Familiarity with Linux, IP networks, software troubleshooting, and/or RF test equipment
- Programming skills in Matlab, LabVIEW, C/C++, Java, and/or Python.
- Opportunity for international travel (up to 15%)
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.