What you will be part of
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation, collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through long-term support.
Saab Sensis is currently seeking a Senior System Engineer to assist in requirements analysis, solution design and development of the FAA’s Terminal Flight Data Manager (TFDM), the biggest tower automation program in the world. TFDM aims to modernize all major air traffic control towers in the U.S. by deploying a combination of electronic flight strips and surface collaborative decision making capabilities. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to work on a cutting edge system that directly impacts the majority of flights in the U.S.
As a Senior System Engineer on the TFDM team, you will have the chance to work hands-on with a diverse group of internal and external team members, spanning numerous disciplines and all experience levels. Come be part of our fast-paced team and help make TFDM a success!
Responsibilities and Learning Opportunities:
- Decomposing stakeholder needs into system level requirements, performing functional analysis and allocating requirements to lower level system software elements following Agile development methods
- Generating system/software requirements to assure implementation
- Modeling system behavior using SysML modeling tools and techniques
- Developing system software algorithm designs based on analysis and modeling methodologies
- Developing SysML design artifact diagrams, e.g. Use Case, Sequence, Activity, State Machine, Block, Parametric and Software Design Document (SDD).
- Developing system/software integration and test methods
- Conducting and supporting system/software integration in laboratory and operational environments
- Conducting alternatives analysis and proposing solutions in support of stakeholder change requests
- Leading and preparing technical white papers articulating alternatives and recommended solution
- Participating in technical reviews and status meetings
- Collaborating and communicating with internal and external stakeholders
At Saab ATM you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on state-of'-the-art products that save lives. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of engineers to ensure that products used for Air Traffic Surveillance meet their requirements and intended use. You will also work with world-class engineers in an environment that fosters professional development, collaboration, and support at all levels.
Saab ATM, provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, including Tuition Assistance, cafeteria and Fitness Facility.
Your skills and experience
- BA/BS degree in an engineering discipline or related discipline
- 8+ years’ experience
- MA/MS degree in an engineering discipline or related discipline with 6+ years of experience
- Experience with the FAA System and Software engineering processes
- Experience in the Agile software development methods
- Excellent communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to organize and categorize information
- Ability to translate abstract ideas clearly and succinctly into writing
- Ability to understand and converse intelligibly on detailed technical concepts
- Experience utilizing presentation skills to effectively communicate in a group environment
- Experience writing formal system and software requirements
- Experience designing algorithms
- Experience writing detailed explanations of proposed designs
- Familiarity with Microsoft Visio or similar general-purpose graphical design tools
- Comfortable in an integration environment
- Experience with data analysis techniques
- Experience with Microsoft Excel or similar data management and analysis tools
- Comfortable collaborating with a team of engineers
- Ability to manage a dynamic workload in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with the UML or SysML modeling
- Experience understanding customer needs and determining how to meet them within technical and cost constraints
- Experience designing graphical user interfaces
- Experience using MATLAB or other scripting language to perform data analysis
- Experience designing state machines
- Knowledge of air traffic control products
- Experience with software, hardware, and system integration activities
To be successful, you should:
- Learn quickly
- Be self-motivated, energetic, inquisitive, well-organized, flexible, and thorough
- Display well-developed problem-solving and analytical skills
- Possess high standards of quality and attention to detail
- Demonstrate multitasking and time management skills
- Possess strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, particularly with respect to influence and negotiation
- Understand and manage risk proactively
Must be a U.S. citizen. Candidates may also be required to participate in a security related (SF85) background investigation/inquiry.
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.