What you will be part of
At Saab Surveillance U.S. you will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class engineers and professionals in an environment that fosters career development, collaboration and support at all levels. A business unit of Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, the division is focused on the design, development, integration, test, deployment, and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems, primarily for industry partners and U.S. Government agencies. Headquartered in Syracuse, NY, we also offer opportunities to work from locations in Florida, North Carolina and Virginia. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, Surveillance U.S. Division is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to manage the team of Software Engineers and report to the Director of Engineering. The individual that fills this role will collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of functional managers, as well as program management counterparts, to ensure the execution and delivery of a quality end product within cost and schedule targets. Responsibilities will include:
Lead and develop the Software engineering team focused on meeting technical, program and business objectives.
- Program resource planning
- Develop on-going staffing capacity and long-term staffing plans
- Recruit staff as necessary to meet business demand
- Assign appropriate personnel to projects and programs
- Ensure all personnel have established relevant goals and objectives that link directly to the objectives of the business.
- Provide technical oversight, guidance, mentorship and coaching to assigned personnel in the performance of their assigned tasks.
- Manage the annual performance review process, compensation reviews, and career development process.
Ensure accountability for creation of accurate cost and schedule targets, and execution of technical effort in accordance with those targets.
- Understand and manage resources to Program Manager’s budget and schedule.
- Determine the department or team's strategy for completing a task.
- Maintain department competencies by creating a training strategy and providing training opportunities for employees to continue their professional development.
- Responsible for cost estimating activities related to contract proposals, IR&D, Capital, and assigned overhead budgets.
- Ensure the BOE's and schedules are accurate, appropriate, documented and consistent with overall program objectives.
- Establish cost and schedule targets for team members.
- Monitor and control execution consistent with established technical, cost and schedule objectives.
- Support contract negotiations and fact finding as requested by program management.
Provide credible technical insight and leadership within Software Engineering.
- Contribute to technology roadmap planning.
- Develop innovative technical solutions, assess technical risk and identify risk mitigation strategies within assigned discipline(s).
- Responsible for budgeting including OH, capital requests, and software/tool subscriptions for the software engineering function.
Be a champion for the quality and continuous improvement of technical processes.
- Ensure updates for QMS processes, forms, templates, work instructions and job aids are completed.
- Establish processes and benchmarks for measuring team and process performance.
- Ensure team is accountable for adherence to established processes and continuous improvement objectives.
Your skills and experience
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business or related discipline. Master's degree is a plus.
- 20+ years of experience in a technical/ engineering environment
- Subject matter expert in Software Engineering and Radar field.
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Ability to provide strategic direction for projects and programs in area of expertise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to collaborate across disciplines effectively.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to:
- Set and articulate goals and build a team around those goals.
- Anticipate organizational challenges likely to occur due to the dynamics of the business environment and formulate contingency plans and coping strategies.
- Forecast resource requirements (people, money & assets) in order to meet business objectives.
- Measure team and process performance through the definition and use of appropriate metrics.
- Grow management and technical talent by identifying, crafting and implementing an appropriate development plan.
- Establish goals, guidelines and methods to be used within team.
- Plan and manage an operating budget for own organization.
- Effectively match compensation to performance.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.