What you will be part of
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation, collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through long-term support.
Saab ATM has an opening for a Software/System Safety Engineer in our Automation and Surveillance segment in East Syracuse, NY. Our team designs, develops and improves state-of-the-art products for Air Traffic Surveillance and Air Traffic Management.
As a Safety Engineer you will:
- Conduct system safety analyses on Air Traffic Control surveillance and automation systems in accordance with industry best-practices
- Work with developers and field engineers to ensure that all safety-related requirements are correct, complete and verified
- Create and maintains safety related documentation for products and for specific contracts
- Review changes to products for their safety impact
- Support proposal efforts
- Interact with internal or external customers on technical and programmatic issues
- Balance multiple concurrent program and activities
Minimal travel, less than 10%
At Saab ATM you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on state-of'-the-art products that save lives. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of engineers to ensure that products used for Air Traffic Surveillance meet their requirements and intended use. You will also work with world-class engineers in an environment that fosters professional development, collaboration, and support at all levels.
Saab ATM provides an excellent working environment offering, comprehensive benefits, tuition reimbursement, work/life balance, business-casual atmosphere, cafeteria and a fitness facility.
Your skills and experience
A minimum of a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited institution. Safety, software and system focuses are preferred, Advanced degrees are welcome.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Familiarity with standard safety analysis methods such as functional hazard analysis, failure modes and effects analysis, and fault tree analysis
- Problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior time management skills and be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work in a team and form productive working relationships
- A willingness to take a stand for safety when necessary
Expertise desired, but not required:
- Knowledge of aviation safety processes
- Experience with Eurocontrol SAM, ED-78, SESAR Safety Reference Material, FAA SRMGSA or similar
- Experience with DO-278A/ED-109A, ED-153 or similar software safety assurance standards
- Familiarity with air traffic control operations and procedures
- Knowledge of ATC surveillance or automation systems
- Development and operation of a safety management system
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
As a Federal Contractor for the United States, Saab ATM is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be permanent residents. U.S. citizens or protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) in order to be considered for employment.