What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Are you naturally curious? Do you like brainteasers? Would you like to work with a similarly-minded group of dedicated, enthusiastic people with a reputation for excellence, integrity, and teamwork? Are you looking to build your resume experience and enhance your marketability with real-world, hands-on practice? Then this is the job for you.
Saab ATM is in search of a motivated, enthusiastic student interested in putting their studies into practice as an Integration & Test Engineering co-op/intern (January-May) in our Syracuse, NY office. Note that this is NOT an aerospace or avionics engineering position. Work is mostly software-focused, though there may be tasks involving electronics and RF equipment.
The business encompasses various forms of detecting and tracking aircraft while in flight and on the surface of airports, such as radar, multilateration, and ADS-B. Saab Sensis specializes in the design and deployment of these embedded system solutions, the development of integrated surveillance systems, and the fusion of the information each creates. As a member of the team, you will support these products while focusing on programs with customers throughout the world.
Responsibilities and learning opportunities may include:
- Developing, documenting, and executing test approaches and procedures
- Conducting and supporting system integration in a lab environment
- Assisting in troubleshooting
- Generating and investigating bug reports
- Constructing test scenarios using various simulators
- Creating, updating, and validating test tools
- Participating in technical reviews and status meetings
- Performing data analysis
At Saab ATM you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on state-of'-the-art products that save lives. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of engineers to ensure that products used for Air Traffic Surveillance meet their requirements and intended use. You will also work with world-class employees in an environment that fosters professional development, collaboration, and support at all levels.
Your skills and experience
- Enrollment in an accredited degree program, with a major in an engineering discipline, computer science. physics, or mathematics
- Cumulative overall GPA of 3.0 or better
- Completion of Sophomore year or greater
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows applications
- Ability to manage a dynamic workload in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with software and hardware integration methodologies such as top down and big bang
- Familiarity with software and hardware test methodologies such as black box and exploratory
- Experience with operating electronic test gear such as oscilloscopes and waveform generators
- Experience with MATLAB and/or LabVIEW
- Experience with Python, Java, and/or C++
- Familiarity with SUN Solaris, Unix, and/or Linux
To be successful, you should:
- Learn quickly
- Handle responsibility well
- Be self-motivated, energetic, inquisitive, well-organized, flexible, and thorough
- Maintain high standards of quality and attention to detail
- Demonstrate clear, concise, and correct written and oral communication, including grammar, spelling, and composition
- Display well-developed problem-solving skills
- Practice time management and prioritization skills
- Possess strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, particularly with respect to influence and negotiation
- Understand the need for control, repeatability, and risk management and act accordingly and proactively
Selected candidates will be invited to participate in phone and/or on-site interviews.
Paid assignment, casual work attire, paid holidays, flexible work hours, 401(k), fitness facility
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).