What you will be part of
Saab Traffic Management (TM) serves air traffic and marine customers around the globe with advanced solutions that enable the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. There are two operating units within TM: Air Traffic Management (ATM) provides airport surface safety and efficiency systems and tools, tower automation and advanced research, development and evaluation solutions; Maritime Traffic Management (MTM) solutions include Automatic Identification Systems (AIS), port and vessel traffic management information systems (VTMIS), hydrographics, and precision navigation.
Aviation stakeholders face a greater number of challenges and more complex
demands than ever before. At Saab Air Traffic Management (ATM), we continually
find new ways to address these challenges and enable safe, predictable, and efficient
operations. We go beyond existing solutions, pioneering new ideas and helping to
set industry standards.
Saab ATM’s expertise spans operations, surveillance sensors, ATC automation,
collaborative decision making, and digital towers. Our solutions are trusted by
air navigation service providers, airports and airlines at over 100 locations in
more than 45 countries. As a global leading partner and provider of proven ATM
solutions and services, we transform operations, turning innovative ideas into
reality and supporting stakeholders from solution conception through
Saab ATM seeks a dynamic, results oriented individual to fill the role of a Mechanical Engineering Co-Op for a summer assignment (May - Aug.) in our Syracuse, NY office. As part of the Automation-Surveillance group within Saab ATM, you will be working in a multi-faceted role as a Mechanical Engineer Co-op. You will be working alongside senior mechanical engineers actively participating in product development and program deployment.
This candidate will participate in the design, development, fabrication, and deployment with responsibilities including:
- Creating and modifying assembly drawings, schematics, vendor item control drawings, connection diagrams and bills of materials for complex electronic equipment.
- Implementation of rack based processing equipment centers in support of various program deployments.
- Working with the product development team in support of new and on-going development relating to our sensor product portfolio.
- Assist in solving problems associated with mechanical components.
- Following company standard operating procedures and Quality System requirements to perform all aspects of the position
- Ability to work independently to achieve technical and program requirements.
At Saab ATM you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on state-of'-the-art products that save human lives. You will work closely with other systems, hardware, software, and test engineers to ensure that electronic products used for Air Traffic Surveillance meet their requirements and intended use. You will also work with world-class engineers and professionals in an environment that fosters professional development, collaboration and support at all levels.
Your skills and experience
Required Education and Experience:
- Enrolled in a Mechanical Engineering program from a ABET accredited institution.
- Understanding of schematics and wiring diagrams for communication and central processing systems.
- Effective contributor in a team environment.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of mechanical engineering and application of those fundamentals to solve problems.
- Exposure to SolidWorks 3D modeling, DraftSight or AutoCad for 2D drawings, MS Excel and MS Word to create drawings and documents.
- Possess general knowledge of industrial electronic systems including enclosures, cabinets, chassis, electrical connectors, cabling, and mounting hardware.
- Ability to read and review mechanical drawings for proper dimension tolerances and accuracy and completeness.
To be successful, you should:
- Learn quickly
- Handle responsibility well
- Be self-motivated, energetic, inquisitive, well-organized, flexible, and thorough
- Practice clear, concise, and correct written and oral communication, including grammar, spelling, and composition
- Display well-developed problem-solving skills
- Maintain high standards of quality and attention to detail
- Demonstrate time management and prioritization skills
Saab ATM provides an excellent working environment, work/life balance, business-casual atmosphere, paid holidays, cafeteria and a fitness facility.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).