What you will be part of
At Saab you will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class engineers and professionals in an environment that fosters career development, collaboration and support at all levels. Saab Inc. is focused on the design, development, integration, test, deployment, and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems, primarily for industry partners and U.S. Government agencies. Headquartered in Syracuse, NY, we also offer opportunities to work from locations in Florida, North Carolina and Virginia and on products ranging from laser based training and simulation systems textile based signature management systems. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is seeking a dynamic, results-oriented leader to fill the role of Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. The Vice President and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is a senior executive leader of the company and reports to the CEO of Saab Inc. The CTO is responsible for the technical strategic direction and roadmaps of the company and collaborates with other members of the company’s Leadership Team to:
- Define technical roadmaps and strategic business objectives for a U.S. Aerospace and Defense contractor whose business is based on advanced electronics products across a diverse set of mission applications including Military Radar, Electronic Warfare, Commercial ATM, Training and Simulation, etc.
- Develop tactical plans to meet yearly operating goals for the business including but not limited to orders, revenue, and earnings targets.
- Secure specific capture of CRAD and other early R&D contracts and partnerships.
- Develop and maintain a culture of innovation throughout the organization.
- Develop the technical strategy for the company, secure new business to enable strategic objectives, and ensure alignment of R&D plans.
- Participation in key program review milestones as Sr. technical expert.
- Ensure the successful delivery and performance of the company’s contractual obligations.
- Maintain the technical Esprit de Corps of the workforce.
In addition to the collaborative Leadership Team responsibilities identified above, other primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Define, establish, manage, and maintain the company’s R&D budgets.
- Attract and retain the Sr. technical staff necessary to achieve strategic business objectives and operating goals.
- Maintain a strong executive level network, reputation, and customer access across the company’s relevant markets.
- Establish and maintain the technical thought leadership of the company in the relevant market community and stakeholder base.
- Serve as the senior internal technical interface and POC for the company.
- Establish and maintain relationships with counterparts in Saab (Sweden).
- Serve as the Sr. U.S. Technical POC and representative for the company on external advisory boards, consortiums, and customer influence groups.
- Lead a small technical team of SMEs responsible for the growth and new business development of the company in partnership with Marketing and Sales.
- Develop manage and maintain the technical and product roadmaps of the company.
- Monitor and guide a high functioning team of top technical talent to secure and execute front end R&D partnerships and contracts to enable the future technical success of the company.
- Participate in and develop collaborative research and development opportunities with named academic institutions and DoD research organizations.
Your skills and experience
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, math, science or related field. Master's degree in business or engineering or related field preferred, MBA desirable.
- 20+ years of progressive leadership experience with proven track record of success in leading mid to large functional and/or program organizations.
- Program management experience is desirable.
- Knowledge of DoD acquisition process and customer requirements.
- Advanced Technical Subject Matter Expertise in high end military sensors and electronics including Radar, EW, EO, Laser, Command and Control, Cyber Security, etc.
- Demonstrated track record leading large scale aerospace and defense business capture efforts and/or functional organizations.
- Ability to contribute to the development strategy and lead strategic initiatives in support of functional and business objectives.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% in support of program and business development efforts.
- U.S. DoD Secret level clearance.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.
Last updated: 09 April 2020 • 15:31